Pulling demographics has never been easier. With Smart Columns, you can automatically append any demographic criteria to an entire set of points, based on a unique trade area.
Why would I use Smart Columns?
There are lots of applications to Smart Columns, but here are just a few you might want to try out:
- Find out which of your competitor's stores has the highest Daytime Population
- Quickly figure out what the Household Income range is like across all your store locations
- Rank Candidate sites by which ones have the highest Population Density
And the list can go on..!
How is this different than using demographics in a Quick Comparison or Comparison report?
Appending demographic data to a set of locations in PiinPoint used to be accessed within a Comparison Report set. Now you can do it right within your Layers panel.
Using Smart Columns in PiinPoint
To take advantage of Smart Columns, you'll need to have some Demographic Criteria selected, and a Layer prepped that you want to calculate data for.
1. Add your preferred demographic criteria
Pop in a few variables to the Target Market Panel, like Total Daytime Population, family size, etc.
2. Find your Layer of Points
In this case, I'm looking at candidate sites for a new coffee shop in the Gatineau, Quebec area:
For more information on creating or uploading Layers, check out our docs here and get set up.
- Smart Columns can currently only be calculated on point-based layers, not shape Layers
3. Go into your Layer's Attribute Table.
This can be found to the left of your Layer name in the Layers panel:
4. Your Attribute Table will appear.
5. Select the "Smart Columns" option within the table:
📙 Learn More
- From the Attribute table, you can pan to a certain point, hide columns, edit the data, do a site tour and more. Learn all about the Attribute table in our docs here.
6. Click on the option to + Add Smart Column
7. Assign column Name, Trade Area, and Demographic:
Remember when you picked the different demographic variables in Target Market? Those selections will populate the dropdown in Smart Columns.
8. Click Confirm.
One you've set up the columns and saved the selections, you'll see the new column show up and it will calculate the demographics on each point in the Layer.
With your Smart Columns calculated, you can now:
- Tour through any Layer and see critical demographic statistics on each site
- Rank your set of points based on the calculated Smart Columns e.g. highest to lowest population
- Export the data out of PiinPoint for more analysis
Editing Smart Columns
Let's say you add new locations to a column, and you'd like to recalculate the demographic for each. Simply click on the calculator icon to recalculate the results:
What's Next for Smart Columns 🚀
Smart Columns are going to double in power, with the ability to append POI proximities to any layer as well! This allows you to quickly understand how your locations interact with other locations, e.g. what is the nearest store for each of your customers?
The questions to be answered are endless, as you consider calculating proximities on your current network, new sites, your customers', your competitors, and so on. Some examples could include distances between:
- My Stores ➡ My Stores
- My Stores ➡ My Competition
- My Stores ➡ My Ideal Anchors
- My Customers ➡ My Stores
- Candidates Locations ➡ My Stores
Still got a question about Smart Columns? Don't hesitate to contact your Customer Success Manager in the app or email email@example.com.